Saturday 28 September 2013

Parfait Challenge, Cats Cafe. No real cats.

The UNBEREBUBLE (unbelievable) parfait

We are extremely lucky to have two national holidays in a row in September. An extra day over the weekend is always welcome, and anyway, as one of my fellow ALTs have suggested – “every weekend feels like a holiday here.” Being new to an area and exploring is incredibly exciting, and there’s a festival or event almost every week, as long as you keep your ear to the ground and eyes sharp for information. I keep gathering up leaflets from various train stations and asking my poor JTEs (coworkers and Japanese Teachers of English) to help me translate. They must be fed up of me asking by now, but I find out about too many good events to stop!




I keep returning to Numazu since it’s the biggest city in the area, so it has all the shops and restaurants, as well as the largest contingent of fellow ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers). This time, I had set up a parfait challenge after finding out a particular café called “Cats Café”. In the past, they ran a challenge where up to ten people would have ten minutes to devour a bucketful of ice cream. If they managed it, it was free. I was shown pictures, gaped at the monstrously delicious sight. I knew I had to try it for myself. So many other people were interested that we ended up with two teams (and another team who were too excited and went the week before). They should really pay me a commission, that café. Unfortunately, we found out when we got there that the challenge doesn’t occur anymore, so there was no free ice cream for us, but we could still get the UNBELIEVABLE (yes, that’s what it was called) ice cream if we were willing to pay. It cost ¥5,500, but split between 10 people, it’s not bad.

A big melting pot of sugar-over load


So, we went, we ate, we drank, we conquered. I say drank, as it eventually turned into a sloppy mess. Some were brave enough to knock back the strange chocolate slushie that it turned into; others gave up. I shamefully stopped about two plates in; the combination of cornflakes and sugar was starting to give me a stomachache. Still we conquered the mighty beast, and roared in triumph. Many victory photos were taken. Many poses were, uh, posed.

-
Cusine: Italian, desserts
Hours: no idea. Sorry.
Price: ¥5,500, or ¥550 per person. Normal parfaits are around ¥400
Directions: Numazu North Side, Bivi building

QuIzu score: 3/5, but 5/5 fun factor. Great if you like sweet desserts, perhaps to the point of being sickening, but hey, totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment